KISS OF LIFE

Every day of your life is irretrievable. Live every day to the fullest--put off no great moments. Life is a blessing that gives you every opportunity to be extraordinary. Be full of life--enjoy the kiss of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brentwood, California, United States

i am known on-line as danascullymdfbi--yes, i am an X-Files fan,and back in the day, i would be told that i resemble character Dana Scully (actress Gillian Anderson) in both physical appearance and personality. however, as i am not the only X-Files fan on the net, virtually every combination of Special, Agent, Dana, Katherine, Scully, Mulder, and FBI had been used, so i incorporated the MD (glad to pay hommage to her scientific side, the medical doctor) into the name.

Saturday, October 23, 2004

the unexamined life is not worth living

My education...my high school experience was a greater challenge than I ever faced at a state university. Lick-Wilmerding was a competitive college prep school where we read the Iliad in poetry form as Freshman and fulfilled a grant requirement by cleaning the school ourselves on "work crew." We were also required to take shop courses. I studied wood shop, machine shop, metal shop, welding, electric shop, stained glass and glass fusing and drafting in addition to British Literature, computer programming (in 1983) and judicial history. I scraped my way out of "Lick" with less than a 3.0 and too lazy to take the ACTs, so I went to CSULB, a public commuter college best noted in my field for being the school that Steven Spielberg first attended before defecting to UCLA. In college I thrived, being invited into the Freshman Honor Society, singing with the Long Beach Symphony Orchestra Choir and spending four semesters on the Dean's Honor List and two on the President's Honor List. I dabbled in everything from microbiology to asrophysics to weight-lifting, but never settled on a minor or second major. One of my greatest regrets in life is in not following through on my interest to join Air Force ROTC with my major at my school. I graduated in May, 1990, having no idea what to do with my life and knowing that the longer I waited to go back to school for an M.A., the harder it would be to go back. My education was unexpectedly continued when I joined the Air Force in 1993. My AFSC was in Combat Camera and I attended the Defense Visual Information School at closing Lowry Air Force Base in Denver, Colorado. I had the time of my life...of my life. I learned more about videography and camera operation in four months than I had in four years in college. I excelled there, becoming a Red Rope (senior student leader) in my squadron, being selected as the director for the class production and finishing with a 99% as Honor Graduate...and being asked four times to be married... Since 1990 I have searched for a focus in continuing my education. After considering marriage/family/child counseling, television production and parapsychology, I am 200% certain that my calling is the Law. I anxiously await my opportunity to begin a law school program. I am not certain that I actually want to practice law, which makes law school a poor investment, but when asking around, "What do you do with a J.D. if you don't want to practice law?", the best answer I received was "Politics." You never know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home